Thursday, July 11, 2013

Stop the Pushers | An open letter.

Malware is a problem that affects everyone, but it can be especially harmful to people like myself who depend on computers to accommodate health problems such as brain injury. Today I hope to bring an end to this plague on computer users by taking away the financial incentives for software publishers to push unwanted software that changes settings, often disrupting how other software works, especially software that helps brain-injured people like myself to function on a daily basis.

Stop the Pushers | An open letter.

 
Updated Today

RealNetworks, Inc.462 7th Avenue, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10018


Dear Sir or Madame,

I was just about to allow an automated update to my realplayer when I noticed a pre-checked box authorizing installation of malware. This behavior on your company's part ought to be illegal, and I am posting this open letter on my blog to encourage other people to;

  1. Publicly report all "updates" that push unrelated software
  2. Write their congress person requesting this kind of activity be made explicitly illegal, with a provision for victims of pushed software to sue both the company that pushes unrelated software, and the company whose product is intended to be pushed, even if that company is the same company providing the update.
  3. Write the offending company to demand that advertisements for other products may only be posted on update screens in a periferal area of the screen in a smaller and dimmer font that does not match the appearance of any fonts used to describe information about the update.
  4. Not to install any update that attempts to push other software with pre-selected defaults to install.
  5. Uninstall any software that cannot be updated without having to unselect an "option" to install unrelated software.


Sincerely,



David Lloyd
stopthepushers@1loyd.com
  • United States

    Seattle, WA

    CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS

    RealNetworks, Inc.
    Street Address:2601 Elliott Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98121
    Mailing Address:PO Box 91123
    Seattle, WA 98111-9223
    Phone: 1-206-674-2700
    Fax: 1-206-674-2696
    Helix Sales: 1-800-444-8011
    Reston, VA
    RealNetworks, Inc.11600 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 200
    Reston, VA 20191
    Phone: 1-703-437-4422
    Fax: 1-703-437-6515
    New York, NY
    RealNetworks, Inc.462 7th Avenue, 3rd Floor
    New York, NY 10018
    Phone: 1-212-391-6668
    Fax: 1-212-391-9566

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!