Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lost A Day and Other Difficulties (also referred to as "The Wal-mart Incident.")


I keep wanting to believe I'm recovering from this brain injury, but the evidence keeps mounting that I'm getting worse instead. Some things are obviously better. My focus has improved, as has my writing, but incidents of lost time are increasing (or am I just noticing them?)

I was just gathering files I would need for a Monday morning meeting with a financial consultant when Laura asked me what I was doing. I told her I'm gathering materials tonight, and I will sort them Sunday so I'll be ready for the meeting Monday morning. Laura said, today is Sunday. I started to argue, but she described the church service I missed this morning. Confused I said, what happened to Saturday?


(ShaneS429, 2009)

Audra answered, You weren't feeling good Saturday. Do you remember? I had arrived late from a trip to Walmart. I told the family that after an unusually long time standing in the checkout line at Walmart that caused me to be away from home past my two-hour "window," I got confused in the Wal-mart parking lot when I did not immediately see the car, and I got into one of those unpleasant cycles in which trying to remember what my car looks like would cause me to forget why I was in the parking lot, and when I would make myself remember (not so difficult with a cart full of groceries) that I needed to drive home, I started looking for the car again. In this pointless cycle of thought, I wandered around the parking lot a long time. Eventually one of the people putting away carts helped me find my car. I hesitated to drive at first, but the panic had awakened me enough I felt I could make the three- minute drive home. I went to bed as soon as the groceries were unloaded.

 Used with permission. (Royston, 2010)
Now my children are discussing taking away my driving privileges. I negotiated a compromise by agreeing only to drive with a passenger. Then privately, to my daughter Laura who has power of attorney over my affairs, I told her to take whatever steps seem appropriate, promising to "eventually" overcome any negative attitudes I might express if that time comes. I'm sure that event would not make me happy, but in the long run, my children are certainly going to look after my best interests. I'm just thankful they are willing to step up and make difficult decisions when necessary.


Reference:

ShaneS429. (Editor) (2009). Seinfeld - the parking garage - theatrical trailer spoof [Web].
         Retrieved from http://youtu.be/V6dk34omd_4

Royston. (Artist). (2012). Passing the buck. [Web Drawing]. Retrieved from 
        http://bit.ly/SSl60c 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!