Tuesday, May 7, 2013

IN THE NAME OF BRAIN INJURY

IN THE NAME OF BRAIN INJURY:

The following was posted on Facebook by another brain injury survivor. I reposted it here:
... "loss of self" was an unthinkable loss. It is a different loss than others EVER experience... 

Read Debbie Wilson's insightful post below.

'via Blog this'





Did you think you were alone?


Did you think things couldn't get any worse?

Did you think you owned pain and loss?

I thankfully had pain and loss prior to my brain injury.


I knew I owned none of it. I knew I shared pain and loss with countless people around the globe. I also realized "loss of self" was an unthinkable loss. It is a different loss than others EVER experience.

We DO own brain injury. We understand the gravity of that indescribable pain. We had no burial and in many ways it made it harder for everybody to learn how to grieve. We all felt stuck in this horrible and lonely place. We cannot always adequately communicate our words or feelings. We still have a familiar body but we lost the most important piece. We have a brain injury and most of us will not ever be quite the same. We all realize this is heart breaking and a terrible shame.

We never meant to change or go away from who we used to be. We have been made to feel like we did something wrong, by far too many!

We were not given a choice, we were chosen for a greater purpose. We have a hard time just accepting our new unfamiliar and difficult life. We need others to act thankful we lived so we can more quickly be glad ourselves. We lose our closest friends and many times family because we were injured.

We are ALL here for a reason and most of us figure 
that fact out. It is more difficult for some and we are all here to help others understand their new unique beauty and purpose. 
We are the "green team" and 
we are NOT invisible or hidden anymore!


Debbie M. Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!