Friday, May 3, 2013

How is it possible to enjoy a show I cannot track?


(The Time Tunnel, 1966)
I watched an episode of a television show (sorry, I don't remember what show) on ABC's website. After watching the show, there was a survey asking about whether I am likely to respond to their advertising. Seeing that I had another browser tab open where I had located and marked one of the commercials to save for later review, I marked "yes." Then it asked me all kinds of details about who the sponsor was, what the product was, and details about the show. I could not recall anything about the commercials or the show, only that I had enjoyed the show.

How is it possible, I wondered, to enjoy a show I cannot track long enough to even answer a survey about it moments later?

Then the answer became apparent. It does not take event memory to enjoy a show. It only requires remembering facts and contexts to follow most television scripts. This is why I regularly watch the same episodes and enjoy them just as much, but often not recognizing I already saw the episode until I encounter some key scene that I recall.


My event memory is not TOTALLY missing, but it is a fraction of what it used to be. However, memory for facts seems almost augmented, and with the use of software to track events (such as opening a tab to bookmark a commercial) the combination of remembered facts and copious journalling makes up for lack of event memory.

It is strange to contemplate, but frankly, my pre-accident memories have a sequential quality that is missing from my post-accident memories. Time is difficult for me to judge in terms of estimating minutes, hours, or weeks or months, everything that happened more than a week ago seems far distant, yet specific memorable events seem like they just happened.

And here's another detail that makes no sense: I constantly get myself into trouble being on time because a half-hour can seem like five minutes, yet if you just surprise me with a question like "what time is it," my first gut reaction will usually be correct within two minutes.

How can these things be?


Photo Credit:Cobert, R. (Performer), & Darrin, J. (Performer), Allen, I. (Writer), Martin, S. (Director) (1966). 
          In Allen, I. (Executive Producer), The Time Tunnel. American Broadcasting Company (ABC).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!