Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A complaint about memory and focus

A friend suggested this series of Facebook posts would be a helpful contribution to my blog, so here are my comments (copied with minor editing) from Facebook.

June 26, 2012


10:36 am I am frustrated with my slow recovery (if it's a recovery). I just called Bowen Center to reschedule an appointment I missed Friday morning. They told me I was at that appointment. I would think I would know whether I was there! What I remembered about Friday morning was the activity around the yard sale, not a trip to the counselor's office. Preparing to argue that I knew what I did Friday morning, and that it did not include going to their office, I realized one of my Friday errands was to go pick up a new prescription that had been ordered that morning...

1:48 pm I just walked to the mailbox to check the mail, with a handful of envelopes in my hand that I just got from the mailbox... I did something else twice this morning that I was going to mention, but I forgot what it was. 


I wonder how much time gets spent double-doing various tasks?


1:50 pm Our cat just "told" me I haven't fed him yet. As I explained to him that I remember feeding him, he sat listening intently, and looking rather fat...


1:53 pm My own weight is slowly (very slowly) going down. I think I'm forgetting more meals than I'm doubling...

 

June 27, 2012
~3:00 pm One of the people investigating my car insurance claim called today around 3:00 pm. I had just awakened from a nap that started around 10:00 am. I was having one of my occasional "bright" moments when I think fast and speak clearly. The person commented that I have obviously improved. I'm sure it seemed that way at the time, but they should have heard me earlier today. I never know how to handle that kind of situation. I have to trust that the truth is apparent to those who know me, and that their perspectives will be heard and recorded as part of the whole investigation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!