Saturday, March 9, 2013

Brain injury, prescription refills, and red tape: A facebook discussion

While I have no complaints with any of my doctors, (in fact, some have gone beyond what I would have expected to make things work in spite of the rules they work under) two of these doctors work in offices that have a prescription refill policies that guarantee I periodically go without my prescriptions for 4 to 10 days at a time, if I fail to notice I'm running low in time to ask for a refill. One of the offices refuses to let my pharmacy contact them for refills. The other is only open four days a week, and often does not answer their phone during office hours. They are difficult to reach, and when they refill a prescription, they don't send it to the pharmacy. Instead, they file it so it can be picked up. I don't have the option of making the two-hour trip to pick up a prescription, so I have to wait until I eventually realize I'm still out, call them again, and ask them again, to mail the prescription. (For some reason, they can't just fax it.). I've told them I'm pretty sure their policy violates the Americans with Disabilities act, since their policy doesn't work for people with brain injuries. Do I really have to sue them to get them to change? I like my doctors. I don't want to do that!

Brain injury, prescription refills, and red tape: A facebook discussion:

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am developing a prototype resources website at http://bit.ly/resourcesfortbi. Please review my plans and make suggestions.

I welcome comments that can help make this site more helpful to those experiencing similar difficulties, or for those friends, family, and professionals who take care of bicycle injury / brain trauma.victims.

Since I want this site to be helpful to victims, I reserve the right to edit comments if they seem to conflict with that goal.

Helpful comments would include corrections of false information, references to local services that relate to my posts, or comments that help me to keep spelling, grammar, and word-choices appropriate and correct. As a brain injury victim, I depend on others to insure accuracy and to spot the kinds of errors that I may not recognize. Please feel welcome to contribute your expertise to make this site effective!